Thursday, July 22, 2010

SSB Love





I would like to start off today with some amazing news...Invisible Children has decided to track our Teacher Exchange stories on the blog of the home page...Visit Invisiblechildren.com and scroll down to the blogs on that home page to see my story, it will be one of which is listed on July 21. To add to the excitement I am thrilled to say that there is much love for the necklaces being shown by those who have read it...I do not have the details yet, but I will be selling them somehow through either the I.C. website or my own personal page!!!


The weekend was rather slow in comparison to others, which was nice. On Saturday some of the teachers came to the house for a party. It was a laid back afternoon of tossing the football, playing bags (Gulu style), and learning Ugandan games. Andy has started me on “How I Met Your Mother” in the evenings (bootleg versions of course, which are unreliable and don’t always work for us), and I am hooked. We had some relaxing time around the house which was bittersweet as we realized it would be the last Saturday and Sunday at “home”. There was some Acholi Inn pool action (actually the pool was emptied so we would just refresh under the cold bathroom showers) including playing speed (cards) poolside while drinking ice cold Clubs.

We decided to call some people to invite them to dinner when we were given yet more haunting news. Group 2 had been at their St. Jude’s orphanage tour when a tragedy occurred. A young boy fell into a well in the back of the orphanage and drown. John, Colleen, and Min were the 3 main people who pulled Samuel out of the well, went to the hospital, and performed CPR. They returned to the house shaken and a small group of us sat outside and listened to John tell the whole story. It was heart wrenching to watch him choke up when he described pulling the boy’s feet from the filthy water. It was a natural reaction for us to listen, cry, and hug each other while the story unfolded; we seemed like a real family. The funeral was the next day and Samuel’s body was driven to a village where some of his relatives were. St Jude’s is a beautiful place although I must admit it is very difficult for me to experience. While I know these children are lucky to have a place to stay it leaves a throbbing in my stomach to witness some of the conditions. I feel both inspired and comforted to watch fellow housemates attend more regularly playing football, reading, and running with the children. I am thankful for the few opportunities I have spent there and joined in prayer with the house in Samuel’s passing.


I should mention that Freedrick the mouse and two of his relatives were caught by Andy and brother Nathan, who “catch mice”. The catching spree lasted 2 nights and included video recordings, live interviews with the mice catchers, and bonus footage of the first 2 releases outside. The next night I was on camera duty in the tiny, crowded, overheating pantry and they spent over 20 minutes being outrun by the mouse who ran over all of our feet many times. This video included an interview with Pablo who was outside looking in the window (“This mouse has outsmarted them for over 3 weeks now...”, says Pablo), more interviews with the catchers which were interrupted with a loud scream by Allison (I was able to capture a duel shot of Andy describing his “training for this event” followed by Nathan lifting up one of the cups for the mouse to jump out at Allison’s face). Priceless.

Tuesday marked the most successful day in the classroom thus far. I was able to give the students their paper to write the corrected versions of their letters on as well as a blank sheet of white paper to write their names on. I have seen their creativity so I opted to tell them to write their names “artistically”. I got many blank stares so I asked if they would like an example. “Of course Madam”. I drew my name on the board in old school bubble letters and listened as behind me they were making traditional Ugandan sounds (tisk tisk noises may mean many things....In this case it was a good noise, meaning they like what they see), also “Oh, very smart Mandy, very smart” (meaning it looks nice). WIthin seconds their hands were shooting up for me to draw their names for them. Within minutes they were surrounding me and throwing their papers to me...And after I would do the outline their rulers came out and they began to add their own flair. Elizabeth asked for a camera lesson and luckily got some shots of this. I told them I would be collecting them this week to take home to my students. I also received a gift that day after class. A young boy followed us out and said something to Elizabeth in Luo...In his hands were 2 Michael Jackson notebooks (2 weeks ago I asked them in class where they could be found because all of the stationary stores were sold out....I have already mentioned how popular the late M.J. is). He handed them to me shyly and I thanked him excitedly followed by the Acholi handshake, “pounding it out”, and a good ol’ American hug. I asked how much I should pay him...He again said something in Luo, which Elizabeth told me meant he wanted to give to me as gift. I was so taken back it gave me the chills. I gave him 1000 schillings which I knew would cover the cost with a bit of spare change (1000 schillings = 50 cents).

Wednesday got even better as I walked into the classes to see the students with elaborate name cards and neatly written letters. I had them each stand in front of the board with their cards for their photos. After each class I walked out of there would be a group of students from other grades with beautiful name cards and neatly written letters waiting to ask me if they too could have a pen pal from America. Elizabeth is elated and said that this will help them all so much with their English and understanding other cultures. She said the whole school knows about it now as they must be talking about it in the dorms. I am thinking this project is also going to turn into something “really big” and look forward to finding students at home to commit to the exchange of letters, friendship, and culture. After that I walked around to catch some candid shots which welcomed an amazing interaction with them. We took group pictures outside and they began making signs that read, “I now like American students.”, “One Uganda and One America, thank you.”, “Bye Bye Mandy, safe journey, please greet your students for us and tell them stories about us.” That day closed with an awesome trip to Andy’s school, Gulu High to watch him teach a K.O.B.S. lesson (Knowledge of Behavior and Self, topic of this year’s conference). It was amazing to see the difference in class size and atmosphere, he was teaching to about 80 or so. Also a nice change of pace to see boys and girls together again in class. A fun trip that ended with him catching some sweet shots of me on the boda in front of him.

As I am sitting in the staff room on my last day of school typing this I keep thinking six weeks was just not enough. I have said good-bye to 2 out of my 3 classes so far which has been terribly sad. I have given them my email address to stay in touch and have promised to send them a letter and pictures when I send Elizabeth her first box. They are giving me letters written and addressed to me, thanking me for “teaching them well”. I am so blessed to have gotten the chance to participate in this experience and I truly believe that it is only the beginning (of what....I’m not sure yet....). It has reminded me of the remarkable simplicities in life that make it worthwhile; I would have never dreamed that a stack of handwritten Acholi names would be so close to my heart. These kids long for opportunity, in fact most have written that they would like to be doctors and finish their studies in the U.S. They have included drawings of both the Ugandan and U.S. flags on their names. I am eager to “get” home, with time ending the voyage of buses, metatus, and planes has me on edge yet again.... The students at Sir Samuel Baker accepted me, and although there were days when cultural time differences drown me in frustration, they have presented true heart for their education. Although my teaching time is ending and I would have liked to establish this rapport earlier, I am more than grateful for this week at school as it has made me feel both “at home” and complete.

0 comments: